Whilst the majority of us manage to submit our tax returns in a timely manner, there are always a number of late filers, and with late filing normally comes an excuse!
HMRC have again released their list all time most bizarre excuses offered by taxpayers who left it a little late in filing their self assessment returns.
This year’s deadline for the completion and submission of your self-assessment tax return is 31st January 2017. Time is fast running out, so if you’ve been putting it off, now is the time to get your accounts in order and submit your tax return to the revenue. Failure to meet this deadline will result in an automatic £100 fine.
HMRC are always open to accept reasonable, legitimate excuses for the late filing of returns, however if you’re thinking of using any of the classic lines on this list, I would think again!
1. My tax return was on my yacht, which caught fire.
2. A wasp in my car caused me to have an accident and my tax return, which was inside, was destroyed.
3. My wife helps me with my tax return, but she had a headache for ten days.
4. My dog ate my tax return…and all of the reminders.
5. I couldn’t complete my tax return, because my husband left me and took our accountant with him. I am currently trying to find a new accountant.
6. My child scribbled all over the tax return, so I wasn’t able to send it back.
7. I work for myself, but a colleague borrowed my tax return to photocopy it and lost it.
8. My husband told me the deadline was the 31 March.
9. My internet connection failed.
10. The postman doesn’t deliver to my house.