Seafarer Tax Services

Seafarer Tax Reclaim

Do you work on board a ship outside of UK waters?


Do you spend more than half of your time outside of the UK?


Would you like to reclaim your tax?


Seafarer Tax Services

Kelsall Steele deal with a number of seafaring clients who work either exclusively, or at least partly, outside of UK waters. Provided certain conditions are met, in many cases we have been able to help clients reclaim all or at least part of the tax they have paid from their employment income.

Specialists within our tax department have extensive experience in dealing with seafarer tax affairs and as such are in a great position to be able to help anyone in a similar position.

Seafarers’ Earnings Deduction

The rules governing the tax deduction from your earnings is called the Seafarers’ Earnings Deduction (SED). There are a number of conditions to this deduction that must be met in order for you to qualify

  • You must work on a ship. Offshore installations (e.g. Oil rigs) do not count as ships for the purpose of the deduction, however tankers, cruise liners, even vessels that carry out geological surveys of the seabed are included.
  • All or at least part of your employment must be carried out outside of the UK.
  • You must be resident for tax purposes in the UK or another European Economic Area (EEA) State.

Anyone who is employed on a ship is eligible to apply for the deduction, unfortunately self employed persons are not eligible for SED. For example, employed entertainers, cooks or musicians are all eligible.

Backdating Claims

Not only are you able to make claims for the current tax period, SED claims can be backdated up-to 4 years.

Contact Us

If you would like to know more about the rules governing the deduction, if you think this may apply to you and you’d like us to help you with a claim then please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

You can call the office on 01872 271655 and ask to speak with Maggie Gool or Neil Brittain. Alternatively you can make contact via email at or