Late filing penalties
Many companies are still failing to meet the nine month filing deadline for their accounts and are not aware of the deadline for filing of their company’s Annual Return, it is not surprising when a company has four deadlines to meet, the accounts filing, the Annual Return filing, the Corporation Tax payment and the Corporation Tax return filing that deadlines are sometimes missed. Monetary penalties are imposed by Companies House for the late filing of accounts and potential striking off action can be implemented for late filing of Annual Returns. HM Revenue & Customs also impose their own fines and interest with regard corporation tax returns and corporation tax payments.
Companies House eReminders
Companies House offer a free, convenient eReminder service which provides those companies who register you with a timely electronic reminder of when accounts and Annual Returns are due for filing.
Recent analysis of the Companies House reminder service has revealed that email reminders are more successful in achieving on time filings, and avoiding those late filing penalties, than paper reminders.
The email reminder service is free and can be benefit as follows:
- Up to 4 people, including your accountant, can receive the reminder.
- Within the reminder is a link for you to file say the Annual Return.
- It’s more convenient and better for the environment.
Here at Kelsall Steele, we of course keep a detailed tracker of all of our clients’ deadlines and regularly send our own reminders, however receiving the email reminders straight from Companies House would certainly give a belt and braces approach in order to avoid late filing penalties for your private company accounts.
Accounts Late Filing Penalties
|Not more than one month||£ 150|
|More than one month but not more than three||£ 375|
|More than three months but not more than six||£ 750|
|More than six months||£1,500|
- The penalties will be doubled if the accounts are filed late two years in succession.
- If you form a new company, you must deliver your accounts to Companies House within 21 months of the date of incorporation so you do not get until a month end, it could be an odd day of the month.
If you have any queries or concerns over the eReminder email service, the accounting or Annual Return deadlines, please give us a call.